Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mumbai Icons-2


Funny as it may sound, I was very confused about what the most defining monument could be for a outsider visiting this city of dreams. My thoughts and deliberation came to an end,when I spotted a tourist bus speeding towards The Gateway of India.

Built during the colonial era to commemorate the visit of royalty to this country, the Gateway, fast became a symbol of the colonial past of this city. However, years later, it is remembered not as a landmark built for the British royalty, but the place from which they said their final goodbye and left the city for good.

Every single person who undertakes the task of touring this city ensures that he takes a peek at this monument. After hearing the tales of its grandeur and beauty, the actual place has often let people down, not matching upto its wonderful descriptions and imagery. A few friends who I got the chance to take around the city, were more excited about the Taj that stand opposite the Gateway then this place...

For me Gateway of India has had several meanings, since my childhood till now. As a kid I was always inspired with the thought that the Gateway was the final get away point for British. Then came the reality check, my actual visit to the place. Pretty boring is what I remember...I had no idea what I was supposed to look at when I went there. The monument was pretty stinky with pigeon poo and other inexplicable smells from right beneath the dome. There were stairs that led to the waters of the natural harbour, which is now used for ferry loading who take a ride for fun or to go to the Elephenta caves. The ride was interesting and more inspiring then the place. Vendors with candies and tourists clicking pictures was nice to look at as well.....

The Gateway of India has a lot of historic importance. It does play a vital role in defining the historical and political importance of Mumbai. However, its importance as a tourist destination is fast weaning.....What does Gateway symbolize for a Mumbaikar like me... for me..the monument makes me proud of Mumbai past. Standing tall, it tells tales of the power this city holds. But it does not charm me, sweep me off my feet, or even engross me enough...it stands as a symbol of history, power and other things, but does not define that diverse, didactic Mumbai that it is today to me........

1 comment: