Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mumbai Shopping Comprehensive Volume 1

This is the blog by Preeti Vangela.....a Guest writer here.....

This, I intend to make the Mumbai shopping comprehensive for the cheap shopper! And what better way to start it off then to let you in on a very good deal I got this evening at The Loot on some very nice shirts most suitable for formal office wear.

Two very cute printed formal shirts in a delicate color, one stripped shirt in three-fourth sleeves all from the brand AND, and a Wills lifestyle fullsleeve shirt in a very light pink color great with a nice pair of light colored trousers for office or paired with denims for a laid back casual look, purchased for total of INR 1117/-!! I think it’s a steal! If formals are what you are looking for and you are not overtly concerned about your clothes being a last season design, you will have fun shopping in The Loot and the Grab Store.

Okay, let’s all play a game of mystery gift bag! Imagine, a large group of people that decided to contribute in cash or kind towards a collective of gifts, big and small in size and/or value and put ‘em all together in a large, very large colorful tasseled red velvet sack(for added visual effect of course) and then jumbled them all up! Then they play some game of chance or dare and each time someone wins, she or he gets the opportunity to put her/his hand into the sack and pull out one gift item. How awesome would you feel, if every time you tossed the dice or performed a dare in your game, and it was your chance to pull out a mystery gift from the great big velvet gift bag, you just happened to pull out the best of the best gifts that were placed in the bag (none of them by you of course)!

Fun isn’t it?

This is the exact feeling I get every single time I go down to my favorite shopping haunts with an open mind and a restricted budget looking for kickass merchandise. I always happen to find deals on clothes and accessories that seem to cost me just a token amount to purchase, allowing me to buy a whole lot more for a whole lot less money.

Now, I’m not really a compulsive shopper, nor do I “shop” my feeling (to borrow from the expression “to eat your feeling”) but I do like a new outfit for any special occasion and a new outfit just for the heck of it every now and then. So stumbling upon stores like the ones I mentioned above are a great help to put together really good outfits on a peanuts price-tag.

So, I told you where you can get some nice formal office wear shirts. You could also get some formal trousers at these same places. But then again, I’m into remodeling of my own dresses and can handle basic fitting on my pants, so I do buy em from here sometimes. The thing is, I really like narrow fits in pants, skinnies, straight fits, that sort. These are not easy to find in Grab or the Loot for some reason, yet.

Here I could share a nice lil trick with you I use very often. I am tall and quiet healthy. So finding the right fit of pants is not always easy. What I do is, I purchase pants that have a good fit till mid thigh ( minimum requirement). Below mid thigh, I have my pants altered to have a skinny, very “now” look. I like that. It’s easy and can be done cheap. Very good for regular office wear, if you can be tempted to go for that bit of extra work that is.

While on the topic of pants, there is one more store I have been shopping from for the past 2 years quiet regularly for pants. Located right next to Reliance Trends store in Bandra, Mumbai, this is a very very tiny shop, always packed with girls buying party wear, casuals, denims etc. If you are looking for Formal office pants, denims, shorts, anything! You would find the right stuff right here!! great cloths, good prices and a bit of bargaining possible. One added benefit of shopping from here is, if there is a minor fitting problem but you love the overall fit of the pants, they will have that altered and fixed for you right there within a few minutes. Perfect!

So now that you have the right shirts and trousers, throw on a nice scarf (tips on getting a great scarf dirt cheap here) and you are ready to shine at work!

Diverting from the current topic of clothes, if you do like to wear a bit of makeup pretty regularly, a really nice brand I like, is NYX. I bought it first on my trip to US but soon found out its available here as well, in Manish market, CST, Mumbai. I have not bought em form here myself, but a good friends did. When I bought NYX from US it was time for the Christmas sale and I got all of the goodies dirt cheap. Great colors long lasting and no side effects so far. If you like mascara, I would definitely recommend the ColorBar Lash Illusion Mascara Duo. it comes with two tubes, one for lengthening the lashes and the other for volume. Easy to apply long lasting and gives a nice look. For Rs. 350/- i like it!

So now you have something to get you through the week at work in formals, but how bout causal Fridays! More helpful hints, tips and tricks on that coming up soon! So until next time, bye bye and happy shopping to ya’ll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment